Despite the bad press Uber has experienced, driving for the rideshare giant is a great way to earn a living. For some drivers, it’s a source of extra income. You get to drive on your own schedule and be your own boss. With the Uber app, ride requests have been simplified for riders and drivers. Uber drivers are matched with passengers once requests are placed. Payments can also be effected via the app.
Before you can access the Uber app as a driver, you need to install the Uber app and activate your Uber driver account. For Uber drivers, service activation is quite simple. Once you follow stipulated steps, you are well on your way to becoming an Uber driver.
Becoming an Uber driver and activating your Uber driver account
The following steps are pretty much standard for most cities. For more information, you can contact the Uber office in your city. To join Uber as a driver, you have to be at least 21 years old. If you meet this requirement, please proceed to fulfil the steps and submit the documents listed below:
- Must have a photo (clear headshot)
- Drivers must provide valid driver’s license
- You (driver) must be the holder of the above, or at least a listed driver
- Ensure the vehicle registration number is listed
- Documents must clearly show a valid expiration date
- Drivers must pass a screening process
- Drivers must have an accepted vehicle based on the Uber service you choose
- At some point during registration, you would also have to take your car through vehicle inspection at an Uber-approved auto shop or Uber activation center in your area
- Vehicle insurance document (if you already have a car you intend to use)
STEP 2 – Signup
After you have gathered these documents and met the above requirements, you can move to the next step which is to signup online. The documents that you have gathered are what you would have to submit online. You can go here to sign up with our special referral link. This link redirects to the Uber official signup page. You will also undergo background checks conducted by Uber. Uber will typically take between 2 to 4 weeks to perform these checks and they include a criminal background check, checks to see if you have a clean driving record and a road knowledge test.
After completing the preceding steps, get a smartphone and install the Uber driver application.
Once you have submitted all the required documents and the checks have been concluded, Uber will go ahead to activate your Uber driver account. This will be done within 7- 14 days. Bear in mind the stipulated time might vary according to your city.
When there is a delay in account activation;
Uber provided these useful troubleshooting tips via their Help page
– Visit your profile page on partners.uber.com to see if you skipped a step in the activation process
– Ensure you uploaded all of the required documents to your profile. If you see that a document has been rejected, you will need to re-upload the correct document.
– Once you have checked all the options below, please wait 48 hours to receive verification.
– Sign the agreement and add a profile photo to complete signup.
Are you an Uber Driver and/or Entrepreneur? Did you enjoy this post? Are you looking for other ways to optimize your Ridesharing Business?-If your answer is yes to all three question, and you have not downloaded our kit(s) – you need to do so now and join thousands of other Uber drivers by clicking the Download link at the top right of this page, or by going here or here.