Ridesharing is gaining strides globally and not only with cars. To ensure seamless transportation, bikes, trucks, and even rickshaws are being used to simplify transportation. At the fore-front of the sharing economy is the rideshare behemoth, Uber. With the goal to make global transportation as seamless as running water, Uber found a way to connect riders with drivers who want to use their car as a means of transporting people.
In densely populated countries like India and China, bikes and rickshaws are being used to decongest roads and reduce carbon footprints. In China, bike sharing startups like Mobike, Ofo and Bluegogo are seeking to improve the country’s transportation system. To learn how bikeshare works, we will shed more light the bike share company with the largest number of operational bikes in the world, Mobike.
More about Mobike
Beijing based bikeshare company, Mobike officially launched in 2015. It currently operates in over 200 cities in 15 countries world-wide. The company began international expansion in March of 2017 with Singapore as its first international. The company quickly moved to other countries like Great Britain, Australia, Japan, Malaysia and the United States all in the same year. Since then, the company has delved into other countries and continued to expand its reach. In April 2018, Mobike was acquired by a Chinese web company called Meituan-DianPing.
How Mobike works
- Download the Mobike mobile app on iOS and Google Play
- Register your information
- Enter your payment method and you will be asked to pay a refundable fee of 299 yuan which is used to confirm your payment information.
- Open the app and locate the bike closest to you
- Once you arrive at the location of the bike, scan the QR code. To do this, press the black button labelled “Scan and Ride”. It will show a QR code, scan the code via the app to unlock the bike.
- The electronic lock on the bike will give 3 short beeps and the app will prompt a message that reads “Unlock successful”
A single trip cost 1RMB for every 30mins. Once you unlock the bike, the charges start counting. The time resets once the bike is locked. You will then receive a receipt containing the trip summary and the final ride cost via the Mobike App.
Bike sharing is a great way to reduce the number of cars on the road especially in cities that are densely populated. It will not only reduce traffic congestion but make the roads safer and the environment cleaner.
Note -For Uber Drivers and Entrepreneurs who have not downloaded our kit(s), we provide a vast amount of professionally vetted information and business analysis that will help you run a successful uber business.