Uber launched in Lahore, Pakistan in March 2016 with additional features to increase passenger safety. The ride sharing giant is facing stiff competition from another ride sharing startup: Careem. Both companies are disrupting the Lahore taxi market by providing transport alternatives in Pakistan where the use of rickshaws are high.
In August 2016, Uber also sprouted operations in Karachi town of Pakistan, making it the 2nd city in Pakistan to experience the benefits of the ride hailing company.
Becoming an Uber driver in Pakistan requires stricter documentation due to the high level of harassment in the country. This post will provide prospective drivers with all the information needed to partner with Uber in Pakistan.
To start out as an driver with Uber in Pakistan, you only have to follow the steps listed below:
STEP 1 – Ready Your Documents
- A photo of you (a clear headshot)
- A valid driver’s license
- Vehicle registration documents
- Vehicle insurance document
- CNIC (Computerized National Identity Card) This will be verified by Uber
- Ensure the vehicle registration number is listed
- All the documents above must clearly show a valid expiration date
- Provide character certificate, signed by police station and other authorities
- Social referral certificates (Written by a non-relative, preferably a previous boss)
STEP 2 – Signup Online
- Once you have all of these documents, the next step is to sign up through the Uber website – using our link: uberkit.net/signup. (You get a signup bonus if you use our link, which has our signup referral code already pre-populated). Note – the links redirect to the correct Uber URL.
After the online registration, Uber will ask for verification documents like the driving license, CNIC or any other documents required for a background check to be carried out on intending drivers.
STEP 3 – Wait for Results of Tests
- When possible, Criminal Background Checks are also conducted.
- CNIC and Character certificates are investigated to ensure that they are all genuine.
STEP 4 – Get an Uber Approved Car
Note-if you are a driver looking to work for an existing Uber partner, ignore this section and skip to STEP-5
As for the vehicle to use, you need to make sure it fits the car requirements specifically for Uber drivers in your specific city. Note – Uber has various services but only offer UberGO currently in Pakistan. Some of these requirements include the fact that the car year is 2006 or newer-Uber car year requirements vary by city. It is currently year 2006 or newer in many cities. The car should also have no major cosmetic damage. Salvaged or rebuilt vehicles cannot be used, and full-size vans or marked vehicles such as taxis are a no-no as well. Also, note, whatever vehicle you get it will have to go through an Uber approved Vehicle inspection.
STEP 5 –Interview
Once you have completed the preceding steps, you will be invited to the Uber office for an interview. Please ensure you have sufficient street and route knowledge of your area/city. You should be dressed professionally for this interview.
As part of the on-boarding process, you will undergo an anti-sexual harassment after which your vehicle’s documents will be checked, and you will officially become an Uber driver and/or Uber partner.
You will also receive an Uber-issued cell phone which will have the Uber application installed on it to allow you receive ride requests. However, if you wish to use your own smart phone, it is perfectly fine to return the cell phone.
Nice to Know
If you want to become an Uber partner in Pakistan, it is necessary to be aware of the fact that you will be expending certain sums of money to pay for fuel.
In addition to the afore-mentioned, you have other costs like car maintenance, insurance costs, car depreciation, and Uber royalties. If you are looking to do proper due diligence before acquiring a car and want to assess the profitability of Uber as a business whether as a one man business (a sole Uber driver), or as an Entrepreneur with multiple Uber cars in his/her fleet, then either of our Uber Kits at the top right of the linked page:
That sums up everything you need to know about Uber in Pakistan. Now you can confidently begin the process of driving with Uber.
Other Interesting Uber Related Posts
For our blog posts on some of Uber’s Services, see the links below:
For other popular posts you might be interested in, check the links below:
- How Much Do Uber Drivers Make?
- How to Verify Your Uber Revenue
- How to Find the Highest UberX Fares
- How to Become an Uber Driver (In the US)
- Uber Customer Service