Uber has come under fire in the past due to its perceived “relaxed” security policies when registering drivers on the Uber platform. Uber faced push-back in Montreal when the government insisted that all Uber drivers in the city must undergo “35 hours of training and have criminal background checks done by a police force.” Uber threatened to exit the province of Quebec but later backed down after they came to an agreement with the government of the province.
Now existing Uber drivers have 2 years to complete their background checks while new drivers get 8 weeks. This is a significant improvement as Uber drivers get to operate without pressure from the police or government.
Do you want to become an Uber driver in Montreal? This post is for you. Driving with Uber is one way to earn additional income. It affords flexible hours and a chance to make good money on your own schedule. Follow the steps below and you will be well on your way to become an Uber driver in Montreal, Quebec.
Before you can drive with Uber in Montreal, you must know that Uber takes its age policy pretty seriously. This age policy varies for different cities. To become an Uber driver in Montreal, you have to be at least 21 years old. If you meet this requirement, please proceed to fulfil the steps listed below:
- Must have a photo (clear headshot)
- Drivers must provide valid Class 4C Quebec Driver’s License. Probationary or restricted licenses are not accepted.
- SAAQ driving record
- You (driver) must be the holder of the above, or at least a listed driver
- Ensure the vehicle registration number is listed. The registration doesn’t have to be in your name but must be registered in the Province of Quebec
- Documents must clearly show a valid expiration date
- Drivers must pass a screening process
- Drivers must have an accepted vehicle (check below for additional info)
- At some point during registration, you would also have to take your car through vehicle inspection at an Uber-approved auto shop or Uber activation centre in your area
- Vehicle insurance document (if you already have a car you intend to use). Quebec has approved an insurance policy from Intact Insurance designed specifically for ridesharing partners
- No taxis, government cars or other cars with badges are allowed.
- The Uber sticker must be displayed when you are driving with Uber. Place it on the bottom right side of the rear windshield. Not using the Uber sticker can result in heavy fines.
- All Uber Partners must have GST-QST numbers to drive on the platform
- Understand and speak basic French
- To be eligible to drive with Uber in Montreal, you must not have more than:
- 3 minor infraction during the last 2 years
- no major infraction during the last 5 years
Note-It is essential to upload very clear pictures (jpg format typically has the least issues) in which all of the numbers and information on the pictures are very visible. The name on the documents must match your official birth name and the name you provide on the Uber signup page.
STEP 2 – Signup
After you have gathered these documents and met the above requirements, you can move to the next step which is to signup online. The documents that you have gathered are what you would have to submit online. You can go here to sign up with our special referral link. This link redirects to the Uber official signup page.
STEP 3 – Uber Background Check, Police Background Screening and On-Boarding Process
Also, a background screening completed by a local Police is required to drive with Uber in Montral. Uber partnered with the Blainville Police and you can complete it directly at your Uber Centre.
Specifically, they will take the documents provided by the intending drivers in Step 1, and do the following.
- A Comprehensive Criminal Background Check
- Check to see if you have a clean driving record (to be sure that your license has never been revoked for any reason).
Subsequently, you will be tested on all of the general knowledge that Uber drivers are expected to have. You can prepare for this by asking already-employed Uber drivers for advice on what you should know for these tests. It is expected that as an aspiring Uber driver in Montreal, you should have great knowledge of the routes in Montreal without relying a great deal on maps. This knowledge is a must have for every intending Uber driver. After these tests, there will be a few more interviews and some onboarding sessions.
STEP 4 – Get an Uber Approved Vehicle
It is important to note that Uber has various services which require different types of vehicles. You should decide on which of the services you are interested in before buying a car (if you do not have one). See the section below on “Selecting an Uber Service” for more information. Your car will be rejected if it has major cosmetic damage or it is salvaged (was involved in a major accident and had to be fixed with parts from other vehicles or rebuilt). There might be some extra requirements (besides the general) depending on the type of Uber service you choose. Your vehicle must be from the year 2009 or newer to become an Uber driver in Montreal.
Selecting an Uber Service
Selecting an Uber service is largely dependent on figuring out which one of the available services you can afford. For Uber drivers in Montreal, the services available are the non-commercial UberX and UberSELECT.
UberX is the mid-tier priced Uber service, and it also gets the most patronage from Uber passengers across the globe for this reason. This is the category I would recommend starting out with.
UberSELECT can be found in the same class as the UberX services but it is a step above the UberX. UberSELECT vehicles are classy entry level luxury cars (but not as nice as UberBLACK vehicles). Drivers in this service have ratings of 4.75 and above.
What to Do if Your Vehicle Does Not Fit Uber Requirements
If your personal vehicle does not fit the requirements that are necessary for an Uber vehicle, it’s not a problem. You do not necessarily have to buy a fancy new car – a used car that meets the requirements of your selected service should do. However, many people tend to invest in a new car before driving professionally with Uber in Montreal. This isn’t a bad idea if you have the funds. Please see the “Nice to Know” section below for due diligence you should probably carry out if you intend to buy a car specifically for Uber. You also have the option of renting an Uber Car through recommended Uber Rental Partners. You can find out more once you begin the online registration process here: SIGNUP ONLINE.
STEP 5 – Uber Cell Phone
Once you have completed the preceding steps, you will have an option to receive an Uber-issued cell phone which will have the Uber driver application installed on it to give you access to Uber riders. However, if you wish to use your own smart phone, that is perfectly fine. You can read more on how to download the Uber driver app here
Nice to Know
If you want to become an Uber driver in Montreal, it is important to know that you will have to bear the cost of car related expenses like fuel, car maintenance, insurance costs, car depreciation, Uber royalties and other maintenance related expenses.
If you want to assess the profitability of Uber – whether as a one man business (a sole Uber driver); or as an Entrepreneur with multiple Uber cars in his/her fleet, then you need to download either of our Uber Kits at the top right corner of the pages below:
That’s all you need to know to help you become an Uber driver in Montreal.