Car sharing is taking on different forms but all with the aim to reduce traffic congestion on our roads and make transportation as seamless as possible. One major aspect of car share is its impact on the lives of people. Car share is fostering the spirit of entrepreneurship and also improving quality of living. Car owners can earn more money on the side by offering their cars up for rideshare or driving these cars by themselves on various rideshare platforms like Uber.
Getaround is a player in the rideshare industry that enables car owners share their under-utilized vehicles with approved members on the Getaround platform. Unlike some other car sharing services that own their cars or just leave their cars in various locations for people to find and use, Getaround lets people list their cars on the platform for members to rent.
So how does Getaround work?
Getaround operates in over 20 cities in the U.S including San Francisco, CA, Los Angeles and many more. The service launched in 2011 and is based in San Francisco. Founded by Elliot Kroo, Jessica Scorpio and Sam Zaid, the company aims to improve the environment and cities.
To be eligible to register on the service, you must:
- Be at least 19 years old. If driving a Tesla or other “Specialty” vehicle, must be at least 25 years old.
- Have no major violations or alcohol/drug related incidents in the past three/seven years.
- Have no more than two violations or accidents combined in the past three years.
- Drivers under age 21 must have a clean driving record (no violations or accidents in the last three years)
- Must have been licensed for at least two years.
- If you have a U.S Drivers license, you will be required to pass an instant driver record check the first time you rent.
- International drivers must be 25 years and above
To use Getaround
- Download the app or sign up online and register (Please know the app has strict verification procedures and you will be asked to also confirm your identity via Facebook)
- After registration, you must submit photos of your driver’s license and face before you can start to use the service.
- Approval takes between 1 – 2 business days. After you are approved to drive, you can start renting on Getaround. Membership is free!
For Car Owners:
Your car must meet the following requirements:
- 2005 or newer with under 125,000 miles
- Available at least 50% of all weekend days (Saturday and Sunday)
- Available at least 50% of the month
- Have less than 125,000 miles.
- Seat no more than 8 passengers, and must be a private passenger vehicle with at least 4 wheels.
- Your car must pass safety inspection
- You must have a valid credit card on file.
Getaround guarantees car owners earnings of $75 – $200 per month in select cities. To list your car, go to https://www.getaround.com/sharecar to begin. There are no restrictions on how low you can price your car. To be a car owner on Getaround, membership costs $20 per month and cars are rented at an hourly rate.
Are you an Uber Driver and/or Entrepreneur? Did you enjoy this post? Are you looking for other ways to optimize your Ridesharing Business?-If your answer is yes to all three question, and you have not downloaded our kit(s) – you need to do so now and join thousands of other Uber drivers by clicking the Download link at the top right of this page, or by going here or here