If you are thinking of becoming an Uber Black driver, this post is for you, if you would like to become an UberX driver go here. Uber BLACK is an Uber service driven by professional chauffeurs in luxury cars. The fare that you receive from passengers is generally about twice the fare that an UberX driver would receive: Uber black drivers also generally make a lot more than their UberX counterparts.
To become an uber black driver, there are a number of requirements that need to be fulfilled and steps that need to be taken. We will discuss them below.
Requirements for the driver:
Ready Your Documents
You need to have the following documents ready:
- Your Commercial Driver’s license
- Your airport permits (livery licenses) – not required in some cities. If needed you will need one in each city where you want to make drop offs.
- Proof of insurance for your business
- W-9 documents (in the US) other business registration documents containing tax number (for cities outside the US)
- Commercial Vehicle insurance (if you already have an approved Uber black car)
- Vehicle Registration documents (if you already have an approved Uber black car)
- City Sticker (for livery cars, if required in your city)
The investment that you will need to make in order to obtain commercial licensing as well as insurance is typically high, which is why I would suggest the Uber BLACK service only for those that wish to become a driver full time and for a long period of time. If you just want to supplement your income, then you might just want to sign up for UberX (If you would like to become an UberX driver go here).
If you are completely new to driving, I would recommend starting out with UberX and then moving on to Uber BLACK when you get the hang of things. This will also help you decide whether you are sure that you want to commit to this job before you invest a lot of money into setting it up.
As far as signing up is concerned, the process is not in any way different from the method that you use to become an UberX driver. You simply create an account on the Uber website (go here, we redirect you to a custom link with our referral code, please use it) and provide all of the information and documents that you are told to provide (as listed previously). Usually, new applicants are required to send the side, front and back pictures of the vehicle that they intend to use. You may later be formally interviewed. A background check will be performed to ensure that your criminal and driving records are clean, and this takes about 2 weeks (in the US) and in some places up to 8 weeks (in South Africa).
Uber black cars need to have an all black exterior with black, grey or beige leather interior.Whatever type of car you pick, it generally needs to be a model from the year 2012 or newer (3 years old or newer). The type of qualifying SUVs for uber black include the Cadillac Escalade ESV, Chevrolet Suburban, GMC Yukon XL, Infiniti QX56, Lexus LX, Lincoln Navigator L and Mercedes-Benz GL-class.The qualifying sedans for Uber black include the Audi A6 and A7, the BMW 5 series, Cadillac XTS, Infiniti Q70, Jaguar XF, Lexus GS and Mercedes-Benz E-class. You can check the list here for an analysis of Uber Black cars and what we recommend.
Other Things You Should Know
If you wish to be a long term Uber BLACK driver, another thing that you need to know about is vehicle transitioning. Eventually, your vehicle will quickly become too old for Uber BLACK (over 3 years in most cities). After the vehicle becomes too old for Uber Black, it no longer qualifies as an Uber BLACK car, and it is re-classified as a lower-cost service. In this situation, the two options you have is to either replace your car with a newer one in order to keep your status as an Uber BLACK driver, or you can choose to go for a lower earning service with the same vehicle. If you choose to replace your car, you will need to do this before the date provided by Uber. If you take too long, you will no longer be considered an Uber BLACK driver.
- If you do not wish to purchase a car outright, there is always the option to go for a leasing service like the one Uber itself provides, or one by a different company such as Breeze (see our post on leasing and renting for Uber).
- Renting is another option, although you would need to drive through the Uber account of the owner of the car in this case. (see our post on leasing and renting for Uber).
- Uber BLACK driver are generally recommended to be formally dressed, since it is the higher end service of Uber.
Other Interesting Uber Related Posts
For our blog posts on some of Uber’s Services, see the links below:
- The Best Cars for Uber Black (420 Uber Cars Analyzed)
- Responses to Uber Rate Cuts in North America
- An Introduction to Different Uber Services
- Uber Insurance Issues and Commercial Insurance
For other popular posts you might be interested in, check the links below: