Searching for the best apps to improve your Uber business as an Uber driver can be a hassle. That’s why we at Uberkit.net have spent a lot of time doing our research on the top apps for an Uber driver, and we have compiled them into one list. Here are the top 5 Uber driver apps to optimize your ride sharing business.
Google Maps (Navigation App)-Free
Giving live traffic updates, estimated times of arrival, and nearby places of interest are some of the top services Google provides for free. An Uber driver would find this navigation tool efficient. This is a real time-saver when the riders are too distracted to give you a full address. A Google maps user, Ross Kaplan, had this to say about the app, “Evolving and getting better.” It doesn’t have a lot of the features that the old Maps did, like zoom buttons instead of having to pinch, distance-measuring tools, and being able to navigate to a destination without having to Get Directions first. However, Google has integrated Navigation into Maps and made it feel like it flows much better, and they’re constantly adding support for other stuff within Maps like Waze or Uber.
Pros of Google Map App
- Simplicity of the app
- Search results are ultra filtered
- It enables drivers to view the weather conditions of the different places they want to drive to
- it gives drivers approximate time left to arrival
- It gives a good traffic estimate at a particular route at the time for those driving
Cons of Google Map App
- As much as it brings it down to street view, it does not provide lane information guidance and for drivers not very familiar with the street, getting lost among lanes might be a problem.
- It normally does to suggest for detours and some particular alternative routes to places.
- The app drains battery up faster
Though the Uber driver app navigates you, Google maps comes in handy for Uber drivers seeking to find directions and other things related to geographical locations using their phones. It is also coming up with new innovations daily that can help improve ride-sharing.
MileIQ (Mileage Tracking App)- Free
Rated 4.5 on Google play, this automatic mileage tracker has around 1 million downloads and was recently acquired by Microsoft. MileIQ is a free app that automatically tracks miles every time you drive your car. Simply get going in your vehicle and take advantage of tracking that records every mile, and is accurate down to the fraction of a mile. With MileIQ, you don’t need to remember to fill in start and stop times on your log, and you don’t have to keep track of tons of paperwork. This free app for personal or business use takes advantage of smart drive-detection technology, with a built-in GPS, to log miles and even calculate their value. A user of MileIQ had this to say on User’s review, “Bluetooth would be better Not a bad APP, it would be better if it worked with a Bluetooth option, instead of just Data. My reasonings are for both security and battery life. TRIPS: Need a way to view and edit the old trips inside the APP Edit (11/20/16): Two features that would be very helpful are 1) A way to manually add missed trips. 2) Be able to see the Trip Route and Landmarks, Businesses, etc on the Maps would be very helpful, too.” The app runs in the background and logs all your driving. You can tap to label trips or set auto-labeling preferences. You see the starting and end points of each trips and they have tax software integrations as well
Pros of MileIQ
- Automated mileage tracking that is extremely user-friendly
- View summary reports
- Tracks much more than just mileage
- Send data by Freshbooks, CSV, and PDF
Cons of MileIQ
- The free version offers you a maximum of 40 drives in one month (before having to pay $5.99 per month or $59.99 for the year.)
Mileage costs incurred for your Uber business are also subject to taxation. The nominal rate of taxation is 56.5 cents per mile. Whether you are in charge of your own Uber business as an Uber driver or you are managing a fleet of vehicles, you will be amazed by just how useful a mileage tracker like MileIQ can be.
Waze (Navigation App)
Waze is a very useful app for Uber drivers for a number of reasons. It is a community-driven map app founded in 2007, Waze is an Israeli and Palo Alto-based developer of free mapping and turn-by-turn navigation apps for iOS and Android. It uses data from app users to provide quicker navigation routes. Data is submitted both automatically as users drive around (using speeds determined by GPS signals) and can be manually entered on the app. Users can report speed traps, accidents, traffic jams, and other things that could slow down drivers. Waze was sold to Google (GOOG) in 2013 and many features have since been incorporated into Google Maps.
Pros of Waze
- It is a reliable navigation tool
- Pretty good traffic, hazard and police detection
- The app’s strongest feature is its community user-base. Because the app is constantly collecting information, it can adapt quickly to ensure the fastest route possible. Users are able to “level up” and get different characters based on their interaction with game-like app.
Cons of Waze
- Some users complain that it is ugly and maps layout are cluttered-in areas with a large community, the number of icons on the screen can be overwhelming. Waze displays maps with other users, hazards, traffics jams, police traps, accidents, and much more; a tiny mobile screen can quickly become filled and make it difficult for users to find their routes.
- Furthermore, the app can be distracting. Friends appear, accumulating points ding, ads pop, routes are re-routed, and drive-by incidents beg to be reported. It is not a good thing for an Uber driver to be distracted.
- Another complaint that users have against Waze is the amount of battery power and data resourcesit consumes.
- Waze doesn’t give you directions for destinations further than 1,000 miles away.
Despite the battery drain, data consumption, and cluttered screen, the app provides irresistible time-saving (and sanity-saving!) measures that make it a must-have for every Uber driver.
Surge (productivity App)-Free & Paid
By using Surge you are able to monitor the Uber surge at your current location or a fixed location.You will be able to out perform other top Uber drivers in your city, drastically increasing your profit. You are able to be in the right place at the right time, no need for guess work. Surge also supports a Today Widget, showing you the surge value at your current location. This is a customer’s review on itunes, ” Whenever I drive for Uber, I always have the Surge app open as well so that I can keep an eye on the surges. It’s nice to be able to watch what times are the busiest so that I can judge what the best time to drive will be. Great app. Thanks to the developers!”
Pros of Surge
- Surge data for all your locations is presented in an easy to read list, with color-coded surges, allowing to you check for surges at a quick glance
- Surge records the historic surge data and presents it in a elegant graph, with 15 minute to 5 hour spans. Export historic data for an indepth analysis
- Surge updates at a sub minute interval to ensure you always have the latest surge data.
- Get notifications when a surge starts, changes, and ends. Custom tailor per location, notification types and the minimum surge multiplier.
Cons of Surge
- Surge is free to use for a basic user, a premium user requires a subscription
- Only premium users will continue to get new features over time, improving surge tracking and statistics.
- Surge Premium supports background monitoring, allowing Surge to track the surges in the background and generate notifications when a surge starts, changes, and ends.
Overall, The surge app is essential for an Uber driver in order to manage Uber surge effectively.
Repairpal (Productivity App)- Free
It would be great if everyone had a trusted local mechanic, but for many people that just isn’t the case. Sometimes your car has problems you’ve never encountered, you have to take it to a shop you’ve never been to, and you have no idea how much it should cost. How do you keep from getting ripped off? RepairPal gives you accurate, average costs for specific repairs to your specific vehicle and can even help you find a highly rated mechanic nearby.
Uber drivers expect their trips to be safe and smooth for riders. And for this, one has to make sure their car is in good shape, and kept in tip-top condition at all times. RepairPal aims to educate Uber drivers to be more attentive to their cars and empower them to do easy maintenance, eliminating the need to visit the mechanic frequently.
Pros of RepairPal
- The App Provides Do-It-Yourself (D.I.Y) guides for simple car maintenance tasks.
- The App Provides information to help users troubleshoot car problems.
Cons of RepairPal
- This app only works in the US though
Kommen (Bonus App)- Free
Introducing our very own app for Uber Passengers. If you are not a particular fan of booking Uber rides on-demand and would rather schedule your Uber rides Kommen is for you. The kommen mobile app, allows users schedule uber rides up to 30 days in advance. It also allows its users schedule up to 5 rides in advance. Now, in 3 easy steps you can schedule your Uber Ride. To download kommen, visit http://www.trykommen.com
If you want to assess the profitability of Uber – whether as a one man business (a sole Uber driver); or as an Entrepreneur with multiple Uber cars in his/her fleet, then you need to download either of our Uber Kits at the top right corner of the pages below:
Other Interesting Uber Related Posts
For our blog posts on some of Uber’s Services, see the links below:
- Responses to Uber Rate Cuts in North America
- An Introduction to Different Uber Services
- Uber Insurance Issues and Commercial Insurance
- All About Your Uber Taxes
- Uber Car Requirements: 90 Uber SUV Vehicles Analyzed.
- Uber Car Requirements: 580 UberX Cars Analyzed.
- Uber Car Requirements: 115 UberXL Cars Analyzed.
For other popular posts you might be interested in, check the links below:
- How Much Do Uber Drivers Make?
- Top Car Leasing Programs for an Uber Driver
- How to Find the Highest UberX Fares
- How to Become an Uber Driver
- Uber Customer Service